Fun Facts About Cocoa
Cocoa Fun Facts:
- The fruit of the Cocoa tree grow directly from the trunk. They look like small melons, and the pulp inside contains 20 to 50 seeds or beans.
- It takes 5 years for a cocoa tree to produce its first seed pods.
- It takes about 400 beans to make a pound of chocolate.
- December 13th is National Cocoa Day.
- Chocolate has properties that combat Heart disease; thanks to flavanoids from the cocoa plant.
- The ancient tribes, of the Maya Indians, were the first to discover the wonderful enchanting properties of the cocoa bean around the year 600 AD.
- Christopher Columbus, in 1502, was thought to have brought cocoa beans to King Ferdinand, during his fourth trip from the New World.
- Cocoa was exported to Europe in 1585 but the first chocolate bar was not made until 1848.
- The first chocolate house for the United States was established in Dorchester, Massachusetts.
- Throughout the world the annual cocoa production is 3 million tons
- Cocoa/chocolate is thought be an aphrodisiac.
- Watching your caffeine intake? An ounce of semi-sweet dark chocolate has only 20 milligrams on average, about the same amount as three ounces of brewed regular tea.